Thursday, January 15, 2009

Like Father, Like Daughter

Today I had Sophie home from school again. Fortunately when she invaded our bed last night, it was my turn to go to the guest room, so I got a semi-decent night of sleep and was a much more pleasant mommy today consequently. It was actually lovely having Sophie at home. Four is a wonderful age. I am not so secretly peeved that Wales has stolen my baby away a year early.

Anyway...Emma was not so happy this morning about having to go to school without her sister. She also knew her best pal Lili would be absent due to a dental procedure. Everything was "kinda rough on" Emma this morning. When Sophie and I found her after school today, she had a different story to tell. She had a great day and was thrilled about the fact that she was presented with a Purple Belt in Judo at the school assembly. I know absolutely nothing about Judo, except that it means "gentle way" and is a form of Japanese martial art. I am happy that Emma is enjoying it. I think her brain and body could use a little "gentle" structure. I also now know that apparently a purple belt is better than a white belt.

Emma takes after her Dad more and more every day. (David, I'm wondering if, years from now, she and Sophie be awarding each other "Dad Levels.") She told me when we got home, "Please don't tell Dad about my Judo grade. I want to play a trick on him." So, when he gets to the door tonight, George will find, taped to the front window, a hand written letter from Emma that reads, "Dear Daddy, I had a really bad day in Judo, but you can ask me about it when you come in. Love, Emma."

You know imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. George should feel thoroughly flattered when he arrives at home today.

2 comments:

David Carson said...

Hopefully not! I can't imagine a world with George imitators. Didn't I pay a high enough price in my childhood?

mamacarson said...

The scary thing is that "Dad Levels" seem to be earned unintentionally. That's genetics for ya!