Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration Day


Yesterday afternoon the girls and I gathered 'round the television to watch the first African American man be sworn in to the office of the President. I must admit I was very moved by the occasion. Sophie was also very excited. She cwtched up beside me and asked every two minutes or so, "Is Rocco Bama president yet??" When it came time for him to take the oath of office, I looked down, and Sophie, who had been still and quiet for several minutes, was fast asleep. Too much excitment, I suppose.

Emma was very interested in seeing Obama take the oath of office. She was very impressed by the size and shiney-ness of the Lincoln Bible, and she wanted to hear what President Obama was promising to do. When it was all said and done, she said she was disappointed that the oath didn't include a promise to "compromise so that both people are happy." She said that compromising is a really important thing for a president to do so that people don't have bad arguments. I must say that I agree, especially when it comes to conflicts within our own country. That Emma IS a clever girl. I'm sure he feels the heavy weight of anticipation on him, but I hope Obama will be successful in bringing about a peaceful and positive change. I was thrilled to be able to watch the historic moment with my two children...even if only one of them was conscious and we were all thousands of miles away. What a great day for Americans!

No comments: