Monday, January 26, 2009

Meredith Recommends Yoga Pretzels!!




I have been a fan of Barefoot Books for a few years now, but I recently made a purchase that put me over the top. I bought a box of instructional cards called Yoga Pretzels, and they are fabulous. Last night before bed, the kids and I spent about 20 wonderful minutes doing yoga poses and breathing exercises. The color coded cards are divided into different categories such as "Breathe," "Balance," "Twist & Stretch" and "Time In." Emma especially loved our "Time In" card last night which asked us to relax with eyes closed and visualize ourselves 'being' a rainbow." What a nice way to wind down in the evening.


So I am recommending these cards to those of you with children from 4 and up, but I have to say that I found them very enjoyable too. I love the words that we all read and repeated as we got into the poses. For example (for Warrior Pose I), "I step forward, breathe and focus. I plant myself firmly. I am strong. I am peaceful." This is my kind of yoga, and I love practicing it with two of my favourite people.

When she got in bed last night, Emma declared, "I have decided that when I grow up, I want to be a Yoga teacher!" We must be on to something good here.
Happy Chinese New Year to you all. Sophie tells me that the Chinese way to say this is, "Kung Hay Fat Choi." Happy Year of the Ox!!

No comments: