Thursday, January 21, 2010

Golden Time

I knew I shouldn't have bragged about all of the sleep I was getting.  I have told Emma and Sophie that when Lili sleeps, this is her Golden Time.  During Golden Time, her brain and body are growing.  Sometimes you would almost swear you can actually see her growing right before your eyes.  The big girls are very keen to give Lili her peaceful Golden Time since they are 100% in favor of her brain growing.  Also "You need some Golden Time," simply sounds a bit nicer than "JUST GO TO BED!!"

Today George and I are the ones who desperately need Golden Time.  Last night Emma was up with frightful, worrisome thoughts at midnight and 4 am.  Sophie was up with really sore ears from 2am.  And Lili was up at 3 o'clock for a snack and some socializing.  When I slept (fitfully) in between all of those happenings, I dreamed about being woken up by children.  I dreamed about being really annoyed that no one would respect my Golden Time!!

Tonight will be better, right?

By the way... all of that carefully guarded Golden Time must be doing its thing for Lil since, according to her weight check yesterday, she has doubled in size since birth.  She is now just shy of 14 pounds... which means she really should be sleeping through the night now.  Come on, girl! 

And Sophie wasn't just whistling Dixie about those ears last night.  It turns out that both looked pretty bad this morning according to our GP.  Since she has a history of ruptures in her ear drum, she gets to be on antibiotics for a week now.  On the bright side, she enjoyed being home with me for most of the day... and she (sort of) enjoyed the big shopping trip to Tesco.  Since she was with me today, I came home with things like croutons, croissants and caramel popcorn, none of which I would typically buy.  I think it's just a coincidence that they all begin with "c".  She also put a large marrow in my trolley thinking it was a watermelon.  Yes, it's always fun to shop with a five year old.

Is there such a thing as a sleep dance similar to a Native American rain dance?  It can't hurt to try.  I'm thinking Flo Rida's Low might just be the perfect tune for invoking good Golden Time conditions.  Or maybe not.  Perhaps the link below is better?

"Sweet dreams be yours, dear, if dreams there be.  Sweet dreams to carry you close to me...."
-Meredith Wilson

No comments: