Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Snow Day: The Sequel!

"Oh! the snow, the beautiful snow, Filling the sky and earth below, Over the housetops, over the street, Over the heads of the people you meet." -- J.W. Watson

By 7pm last night, we were pretty certain that school would be cancelled today, and three of us were not disappointed.  We woke up to a glittering, white wonderland.  After having a day out on Monday and shaking off my cabin fever, I was up for another snow day.  George started off his day as usual this morning.  He confidently marched out to the car to head to work.  An hour later, when he hadn't made it out of our cul de sac and had nearly taken out our neighbour's shrubs sliding on the layer of ice beneath the snow, he decided to have a "work from home day."

Sophie and I had front row seats for all of the action.  We pulled up our chairs by the window and sipped cups of tea by the warmth of the radiator while we watched Dad spin his tires in an attempt to get out of the driveway.  We decided that we were the epitome of "Nosy Parkers" with our noses pressed up against the window pane.  "I don't think Dad's going to make it," I commentated.  When he finally gave up and stomped back up to the house, Sophia met him at the door wearing her wellies and an enormous grin, "Greetings with great joy!!" she boomed, "I am so happy that you cannot go to work today!!"



So the first order of business for Dad was to have a good and proper frolic in the snow with Soph., and they had a whale of a time.  I was really proud of her since, in years past, she hasn't been the toughest girl when it came to tolerating wintry conditions.  Today, however, she took snowballs in the face like a champ!



George also managed to do a good bit of work from home.  I enjoyed listening in on top secret conference calls regarding "the company."  Let's just say that some folks at corporate are not afraid to go for the "wild card option," but that is all I will say about that.  Also since he was conferring with lots of fellow chemical engineers, there were several good jokes about methyl hydrogen, and let's face it, EVERYONE loves a good methyl hydrogen joke.  Wish I could remember.  They were a hoot.



In all seriousness, we loved having George home today.  We also loved sampling a nice variety of hot drinks each time we came in from the cold... everything from minty hot chocolate to red bush tea with milk (just like Precious Ramotswe drinks).

Lili is still not a big fan of the cold and snow, but we made sure she had a little snowy experience today too.  Isn't she a sweet pea?


This evening we managed to build more snow critters as well, nearly ticking off everything on my 'Snow Day To Do List."  I have a feeling there won't be school again tomorrow, so we will get around to anything we missed today.


Emma and Sophie's Snow Kitty


I have a feeling my glee might be annoying to some around here who are fed up with the inconvenience of snow two weeks in a row, but I just can't contain it.  I heard it said recently that a snow day is God's way of telling us we've been working too hard.  If that's true, we listened and had a good day full of play and very little work, and I don't see nothing wrong with that!

(You can see even more photographs of our snow day high jinks by clicking on the "Smilebox" in the entry below.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Meredith- I truly hope that you keep all of your blogs in Word or something. You NEED to publish your stories! I love reading your posts and like I have told you before you are the BEST writer I know :)