Saturday, January 2, 2010

Shiny, Happy New Year!!

New Year's Day in our neck of the woods was so glorious and sunny (albeit cold), that we decided to pack up the kids and drive to the seaside. Our destination was Ogmore by Sea, which is about 30-45 minutes away. We weren't the only ones who thought a winter walk in the fresh, sea air would be a good idea. Hoards of bundled up Brits had headed out to the seaside, and there were a surprising number of ladies in ridiculous, high heeled boots attempting navigate across the rocky terrain. We were, of course, completely sensible in our wellies and hikers.
Lili produced frequent Wilber-esque grunts of approval from her catbird seat. She was wrapped snugly in her snow suit and them zipped up cozily inside George's coat. I think both of them were equally pleased with the scenario.

I truly enjoyed feeling both the sun and the cold on my face. I felt alive and healthy and part of something bigger than myself. It was a perfect place to greet the new decade. My reverie was rather rudely interrupted about ten minutes after we arrived at the beach. Sophie had not been able to resist jumping into one of those tempting rock pools. Her legs were drenched with very cold water, and she was howling for all she was worth, "I WANNA GO HOOOOOME!!" Well, it was nice while it lasted. We managed to distract her for a bit longer, then headed back to the car to warm up and have the delicious veggie wraps with pesto I had made earlier. (PB& J for Emma, of course.)


Sophia stayed in the car's front seat close to the heating all the way home. Her wet trousers came off and her legs ended up thrust through the arms of her coat. Her little feet sticking out where hands ought to be looked so cute. I now wish I had taken a picture. The ride home was very jolly indeed as we were all topped up with fresh air and sunshine and anticipating our traditional new year's day meal later that evening.

Emma said a beautiful prayer before we began our meal and everyone toasted to good health in the new year. More than once glasses were clinked in honor of my having healthy boobs in the new year. I definitely drank to that!!

To quote my friends, the McKeggies: Hope your 'Noughties' were nice!! Out with the old and in with the new! Happy New Year to all!!
Love, Meredith

No comments: