Monday, January 4, 2010

Squeezing Out Every Last Drop of Joy

I really don't want this thing called the Christmas holidays to end. I am not eager to get back into the routine. I am actually quite enjoying our lack of routine, but they tell me it has to end. George went back to work today, and the big girls go back to school tomorrow. Yesterday we decided to savour our last vacation day properly. We finally made those gingerbread biscuits, and I proudly acknowledge the fact that they were almost entirely kid-made. Sophie and Emma, measured, kneaded, cut out the houses and men, and finally decorated each cookie with flair. I only helped roll out the dough, which is, of course, the trickiest part.
We also had hot chocolate with whipped cream and candy canes, a gorgeous roast chicken dinner and apple crumble, and we got all of the ornaments taken off the tree and put away. The girls' favorite part of the day was exploring up in the attic while the Christmas boxes were being packed away. That was some serious fun. Dad was required to make monster noises every time he climbed up and down the ladder. Luckily Emma and Sophie managed to defend their attic-fortress from all monstrous attacks using foam swords and magic wands.
Today we girls are trying to take it easy on our last day off. We are excited about our new Wii Fit Plus, so that will likely be explored since it is fr-r-r-eezing outside. I also see more hot chocolate in our future, and perhaps an extended story time under the duvet. Right now Sophie and Emma are watching a funny old Disney film called One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing, which is highly recommended if you enjoy slapstick comedy, martial arts and fearless British nannies.
Tonight I will be making up lunch boxes again and gearing up for the old grind, but for now, my feet are up and I am enjoying every last minute.

No comments: