Sunday, January 31, 2010

How to Torture Your Mother

Sleep is a bit like sex in that when you aren't getting enough, it's all you can think about.  Lately I have been obsessing about sleep like a fifteen year old boy brooding over... well, you know.

It has been more than four months now since I've slept through the night!  Lilianna Gwyneth and I have been having some serious heart to heart conversations regarding this matter, but she still isn't interested in sleeping as much or as long as a normal human being her age.  I laugh in the faces of those sleep experts who write that a baby between 3 and 6 months should  be sleeping 15 hours a day.  Ha ha.  On Friday evening, Pipsqueak awoke at 1:30 am and was geared up for action.  The sleep she had from 9:30 until then was just the nap she needed to feel refreshed and ready to roll again.  Ever-so-annoyed, I stomped down the stairs with her only to discover that her dad had also had a little nap and was up again messing about on his computer.  This didn't strike me as humorous until the next morning.  I am working against genetics here!!!

Last night George kept Lil with him until 5:30, so today I feel human again for the first time in many days.  This is my third time around with all of this, so I know that it will end, but I really wasn't prepared.  Sophie was such a good sleeper, and still is.  (She is sensible like me.)  I thought Emma was an anomaly, but now I know the truth; 2/3 of my children have inherited The Carson Curse!!  None of those jokers sleep when they are supposed to.  What am I to do?

For now I will carry on keeping Lili in a darkened room with me all night while she kicks and coos.  Occasionally I will growl at her grinning face, "No... Go to sleep!!" 

Emma recently asked me if there was a reason why God made babies so cute, and I am pretty sure this is the reason.  I would have a hard time tolerating all of this nonsense if Lili weren't so doggone cute.  Thanks, God.

So... I'm off to roll the dice again.  What will be in store for me tonight?

"A baby is an inestimable blessing and bother."  --Mark Twain

No comments: