Monday, May 18, 2009

Emma Carson, You Bring Me Joy!


It's always nice to reflect around the time we celebrate birthdays. This weekend (especially the part that came after the chaos of the birthday party), gave me an opportunity to savour our lovely girls. I felt especially endeared to the birthday girl since her big day was a reminder of how fast she's growing up and what a wonderful person she is. George and I did a good thing bringing her into the world!

Last night Emma was putting off going to bed by engaging me in conversations about everything under the moon. I can't say I minded too much. Late night (9 pm) conversations with Emma are one of my favorite things in the world. We started off in my bed with her reading me a story about Vikings. At one point we could hear Sophie crying from her bedroom. She had apparently bitten her tongue and was being well-tended to by her Dad. Emma stopped reading and said, "Just a minute, mom. I just really need to go and check on Sophie and make sure she is okay." I assured Emma that Dad had things well under control and that Emma didn't need to worry so much...to which she responded, "Mom, you just don't know how much I love Sophie. It's like she's the most precious thing in the world to me." After I recovered from my heart melting a bit, I told Emma that sounded just like how a mother feels about her children, and Emma replied, "Well, that's a bit different. I don't think I love her THAT much!" How blessed are the sibling(s) of Emma!

Next, after reading, we somehow got onto the topic of having babies and Emma wondered aloud whether our friend Jenny would be having a baby anytime soon. I think Jenny would be a fabulous mom, so I told Emma that I thought that would be great. Emma first apologised for what she was about to say, then came out with, "Well, I don't really want Jenny to get pregnant. She's so happy and jolly all of the time now, and if she gets pregnant, she'll be really grumpy like you. I would really hate that for Jenny." I was too amused to be offended. After all, Jenny IS pretty doggone jolly, and hormones and morning sickness are bound to affect that!

Then...stalling a bit more for bedtime, Emma reminded me that I had told her years ago that we could start reading Harry Potter when she was eight. "That's only one more year now!" I agreed that she would most likely be ready for the first year of adventures at Hogwarts in about a year, but we might have to proceed slowly as the books start to get more advanced as they progress. "Advanced!!??" She asked, "What does that have to do with anything??"
It turns out Emma didn't quite know what the word "advanced" meant. I jokingly said, "Well, maybe you're not ready for Harry Potter after all." Emma didn't miss a beat and responded, "Give me a break, mom, I've only been seven for two days. I'll be ready."

I finally and reluctantly got her to bed before 9:30. This morning, however, she continued to make me smile. She came into my room and was whinging a bit about going to school. I reminded her that next week was half-term break and she'd have the whole week off school. "YES!!" she cheered, "It worked!! That's just what I wished for on my birthday candles. Wow, that's powerful stuff. Next time I will really have to think about it before I make my wish."

Yes, I know I've been going on and on, bragging about Emma. These stories are surely not nearly as interesting to you as they are to me, but I am a proud mom with a warm heart today, and for that, I'll not apologise.

No comments: