Monday, May 4, 2009

Who Says I'm Irritable??

Celebrating the finale of Harvey...

"Let them eat Harvey Cake!"

Yes, I know my blog has suffered. I have had a lot going on the last couple of weeks. Fortunately Harvey was a big success for the most part. George and Emma came to see the show on Friday evening. (Sophie got to have her favorite babysitter, Sinead, all to herself.) During the intermission Emma came backstage and told me that she was really loving the show and that seeing it was actually "warming her heart." She also confessed that she was very excited about the fact that it was only halfway over and already past her bedtime. It is still the case that our dear Emma requires much less sleep than the average bear. She hung in there at the after-cast-party until 11:30 pm and enjoyed eating nearly all of Harvey's whiskers.
Earlier this week, I had a bit of a panic. I had been experiencing a lot of strong contractions. With my history and the fact that I have barely just settled into the second trimester, dread swept over me and I was off to the hospital with Emma and Sophie in tow. I was honestly assuming the worst. Thank God everything was fine with baby and me... no signs of cervical change. Emma said prayers over my tummy, and I also know I have family and friends saying prayers for me across the sea. Keep them coming, please.
My recent experience in hospital has also reminded me that I am indeed not in Kansas anymore. The protocol in the UK for treating my condition (uterine irritability--such a wonderful description) is quite different and much less proactive than the approaches my Stateside doctors took. So I will be taking it upon myself to be more personally proactive. I think I know my pregnant body pretty well the third time around. So...it's lots of self-imposed rest for me. This is not nearly as nice as it sounds. (There comes a time at which you realize you've seen nearly every episode of Diagnosis Murder.) I am also looking into hypnotherapy. There is a hypnosis CD recommended for women with preterm labor called "Baby Stay In." I 've always been curious about hypnosis, and I figure it can't hurt. There are also all sorts of new age, natural healing websites out there that recommend fantastic-sounding things like: False Unicorn Root, Raspberry Leaf Tea and Crampbark to soothe my condition. These will require a bit more research on my part before I dive right in.
I think I have told family and friends that my goal for delivery is September 29th. This would put me safely at 37 weeks of gestation. It seems so far off now, but hopefully I'll get there day by day.

No comments: