Sunday, August 23, 2009

I Miss You When You're Gone

There is a celebrity who lives in our house, and he goes by the name of Dad. If you don't believe me, you need only to observe the response that the sound of his key in the door at the end of the day elicits... or you might be persuaded by the screeches of delight that ensue whenever Dad announces that he "doesn't have to work tomorrow." I love being the one who is home with the kids, the one who makes lunch boxes and supplies band aids, the first one to hear all of the gossip about what happened at school today, but I am most definitely NOT a celebrity. That's just the way it is, and that is okay.

We have been missing our personal celebrity for the last few days. He is back in the US for work and quick visit with Uncle David. The first few days are always the hardest. (That is what I keep telling myself, at least.) Somehow we have been managing without having Dad here to let the sun out every morning, but we are missing him for sure. There is something about having him at home. We all feel it. Whenever Dad is home, home feels complete, and when he is gone, a piece of us is missing. Even though I may complain when he comes in to the kitchen and takes the corner brownie or brings forth massive sneezes that shake the house to its very foundation, I miss that boy. I miss his presence and his energy as much as his companionship.

Sometimes in our house, "I like you" is a much greater compliment than "I love you." It goes without saying that I love my husband, but I genuinely like him as well...and that is saying something.

1 comment:

David Carson said...

Very touching. Made me a little misty-eyed (honestly!). The thing about realizing the value in something when it is missing is that you realize the value of it when it returns. :) He'll be home shaking the foundation of the house and eating delicious desserts soon enough!