Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Looking on the Bright Side of a Cloudy Day

Yesterday the weather was dismal, and I had a mood to go with it. I felt tired and run down and was dealing with some unfortunate girly issues down under. I had both of the kids with me when I went to the Radyr Medical Centre to see if I could get some relief. Since I requested a female doctor, I think the receptionist booked me in with the only available female, who was very nervous and obviously inexperienced.

At one point during my exam, the speculum, which she thought was properly in place, went flying across the room. I screamed. The 'medical professional' exclaimed, "OH! I beg your pardon," and Sophie stuck her head under the curtain and chirped, "Are you okay, Mommy?" It didn't get much better in the doctor's office after that.

Here is the good news: I was ready to embrace the horrid British weather which seemed to mirror my soul. It was as if the clouds were encouraging me to have a much needed, lazy day. After hiking to the pharmacy in the rain with two psychotic children in tow, we went home and had a 'duvet day'. I didn't feel at all guilty about curling up in bed with the kids, drawing, chatting, and reading stories. What else were we going to do? I so needed a day like that.

Today, rather unexpectedly, the sun is out and shining brightly, and we are planning to head out to the park, but the reason that I can do this so cheerfully is because I took a day of rainy rest yesterday. This morning Emma and I had a chat about "taking the good with the bad" in life. You will be proud that I didn't serenade her with the Facts of Life theme song, but we did discuss the fact that few things in life are purely good or purely bad. (My husband would argue that nothing in this world is purely one or the other, but that is not a discussion to be had with a seven year old...or a pregnant lady, come to think of it.) So for today and always, we are taking the good with the bad and the bad with the good and trying to be grateful for our bountiful blessings in this life.

Come on, everybody now... When the world never seems to be living up to your dreams, and suddenly you're finding out the facts of life are all about you... yo-ou-ou-ou!

2 comments:

David Carson said...

You take the good, you take the bad, you take 'em both and there you have the Facts of Life ~~~~

It is so very catchy.

Why Momma Loves the Maxi Dress said...

You are learning the secrets of my survival now. It's not all peachy all the time...but that doesn't make the child any less worthy of the journey that you embark on for their sake. Good for you! Keep resting.