Tuesday, August 25, 2009

"If You Want to Make God Laugh, Tell Him About Your Plans."

My favourite Woody Allen quote does seem to aptly sum up life most of the time. Today I got to take my two (less than enthusiastic) children to the hospital for what will likely me my final ultrasound scan during this pregnancy. By this time in both of my previous pregnancies, the babies' heads were engaged and ready to go, I had significant cervical dilation, and I had been placed on strict bed rest. I was so certain that things would go the same way this time around. Well, Surprise, Surprise! THIS baby is breech and my cervix appears to be shut tighter than Tom Jones's trousers.

The doctor assured me that from 32 weeks, there is still a good chance the baby will get into the proper position before her birthday, so I will not panic about that. I will, however, continue to marvel over the fact that life really is like a box of chocolates. I was expecting nougat and got coconut instead. Never mind though, because I like them both. I also like NOT being on bed rest when I have two busy children to look after.

Before Sophie kicked her shoes off and had a fit in the consultant's office (because she just didn't want to be in there!), both girls stood on tippy-toes in the scan room and watched the screen as my tummy was scanned. The sonographer was very sweet with them, and helped them sort out what they were looking at:
"Ohh! I can see all of her teeth!!" Emma interjected.

"No, lovely, that's your baby's spine."

Sophie: "Well, I think she looks like a crocodile. Can you show us her bottom?" [giggle giggle]. Once again, the sonographer indulged,

"There's your baby's bum, my love."

So...at least they enjoyed part of our visit to the hospital today. It's all of the waiting around to have blood drawn and see doctors that apparently stinks when you're five. It stinks so badly that you later regret your behaviour and feel quite embarrassed about the whole ordeal. Luckily, Frick and Frack shouldn't have to accompany me on any more trips to see doctors or midwives since they will be back in school before my next appointment. Whew!

The best news of all (apart from a healthy mom and baby, of course) is that Dad will be back home in two more days. Let the squeals of delight commence...and those squeals are coming from all of us!

No comments: